Pepe Saya GHEE (190ml)
Ghee is an absolute game-changer in cooking and the Pepe Saya team's most popular product!
WHAT IS IT?
Ghee is clarified butter or as we call it ‘the oil of milk’. We simmer our cultured butter until the milk solids separate and then caramelise it over a low heat. The liquid gold which remains is passed through a muslin cloth to remove any impurities before it’s bottled as ghee.
We discovered ghee as our factory workers were taking the butter home and making their own for their Nepalese and Indian cooking. They said they didn’t like the ghee they could buy as it didn’t taste as good as what they could make with our butter. So we started making it for them. It has some great health benefits and is favoured in Ayurveda.
PEPE'S 5 THINGS YOU
DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT GHEE
1. The flavour of our ghee has a lovely nutty quality, the result of using Pepe Saya unsalted cultured butter.
2. It has a smoke point of 230˚C, higher than coconut oil, olive oil and butter, making it a great choice for frying or sautéing. It also means it doesn’t burn like butter when cooking or roasting.
3. Ghee is a favourite of those with intolerances to lactose or casein (the main protein found in milk) as it contains less than 1% of either of those potentially inflammatory substances.
4. It can be stored without refrigeration for long periods of time because it’s shelf stable as there is no protein to make it spoil.
5. Pepe Saya ghee is cultured, which makes it quite unique. The milk of grass fed cows is made into crème fraiche before we add good bacteria and ferment for 24 hours. It then ages for 1 month before it’s churned, washed, kneaded and salted, then finally simmered and caramelised over low heat.
MRS PEPE'S 6 WAYS TO USE GHEE
1. Kale chips
3. Brussels sprouts
4. Turmeric rice
5. Miso quinoa
6. Roast potatoes for Christmas
Check out our website for more information about how to use Ghee!